- AssassinsCamera - Assassin's Creed Series (and Immortals: Fenyx Rising)
- CrossingCritter - Animal Crossing
- FunkyKongMode - Donkey Kong Country (and other DK)
- GoldPageCollect - Yooka-Laylee
- GooigiesMansion - Luigi's Mansion 3
- ILaboNintendo - Nintendo Labo
- MarioKart8Pics - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- MarioMakerMade - Super Mario Maker
- MetroidvaniaPic - Metroid and other Metroidvanias (Hollow Knight, Ori, etc.)
- NESOnSwitch - NES and SNES (from Nintendo Switch Online)
- PikminPictures - Pikmin Series
- PinkBallOfPain - Kirby Series
- PocketMonSnap - Pokémon Series
- RabbidsBattle - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Paper Mario
- SheikahMemories - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (and Hyrule Warriors)
- SplatoonSpitoon - Splatoon
- SuperSmashPics - Super Smash Bros.
- SwitchWitcher - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- UnAloyedBeauty - Horizon: Zero Dawn/Forbidden West & Kena: Bridge of Spirits
- WindFishDreams - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (and other 2D Zelda)
- WitchOnSwitch - Bayonetta
- YoshiOrigami - Yoshi
- YouOdysseyThis - Super Mario Odyssey (and other 3D Mario)
- GameBotGambit - A miscellaneous collection of less common games (some from the migrated or suspended accounts section below)
They each monitor Twitter for tweets about a particular video game (or group of games), and retweet the incoming tweets that meet its criteria.
The idea is to create a feed of interesting game-specific
screenshots and commentary, so you can enjoy the community experience of
the game through the sharing of others.
A few restrictions I put in place:
- It will usually only retweet tweets sent from the console's native share feature.
- It will only retweet tweets that have the game's hashtag or keyword. If you don't include the term I'm searching for, my bot will not see it. For most games, the hashtag is there automatically unless you delete it, but for some, you will need to add it (or use the right keyword).
- It will only retweet tweets that are in English (according to Twitter's reckoning).
- The single-language restriction helps create a mutually-intelligible community.
- It will only retweet tweets that have additional text beyond the automated game-specific and console hashtags. Say something about your picture or video capture! Make it interesting.
- I did this mostly as a quality filter, and to keep the quantity of retweets down, and increase the quality of retweeted tweets.
- In order to avoid hitting Twitter's rate limits, if the account is tweeting above a certain frequency, it will automatically throttle down the percentage of tweets it retweets. When the rate of incoming tweets goes back down, it will throttle the percentage back up.
- If you want to bypass this throttling, you can follow the account. It refreshes its followers list every half hour or so, and if it knows you follow it, it will retweet you regardless of the throttling.
Twitter has restricted the number of accounts that can be verified with a single phone number, so from time to time, I will be re-purposing old accounts for new games.
Migrated account names:
- YonderOverThere -> WindFishDreams (2019-03-29)
- MarioTennisACE -> MarioMakerMade (2019-06-18)
- XenobladeChron2 -> CryptOfHyrule (2019-06-18)
- ToadTracker -> AssassinsCamera (2019-06-18)
- Okami8Amaterasu -> PoketMonSnap (2019-07-17)
- CryptOfHyrule -> GooigiesMansion (2019-09-06)
- EightTravelers -> SwitchWitcher (2019-09-06)
- CelesteSwitch -> CrossingCritter (2020-02-19)
- StarlinkSwitch -> PikminPictures (2020-09-30)
- MetroidPrimePic -> MetroidvaniaPic (2020-09-30)